Ceòlas Uibhist & Comunn na Gàidhlig will administer a Gaelic Intergenerational Learning Project in South Uist, with support from Cothrom Ltd and Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, from January to June 2020. The project is funded through Bòrd na Gàidhlig.
There will be three main demographic groups – parents & child; teenagers; adult native speakers – who will be paired together in various Gaelic-medium social environments. Native speakers will directly engage with the other two demographics in structured, semi-structured and unstructured activities and there will be occasions when all three groups come together for joint gatherings.
The principal goals of this pilot project are:
- To grow Gaelic language usage and learning among three key demographic groups and increase intergenerational language transmission in the Uist community;
- To test the viability of running future language projects at a community level;
- To evaluate further ways to engage adult native speakers in language programmes;
- To increase awareness and ownership of community-based Gaelic language initiatives amongst the Uist population, including participant commitment to future projects;
- To act as a leading example in Scotland of community-based Gaelic language development.
Parents & Children; Fluent Speakers
Ceòlas will administer the Parents & Child stream in the project and Comann na Gàidhlig will run the teenage portion (contact Màiri Ann Chaimbeul). We are looking for Parent & Child volunteers, as well as fluent speakers.
We are looking for parents who have:
- A child between the ages of 0 and Primary 4;
- A desire to raise their child as a Gaelic speaker, including enrolment in GME;
- Some degree of Gaelic language fluency
We are looking for fluent speakers, for parental and teenager streams, who have:
- Gaelic language fluency to a native level;
- Experience raising children in Gaelic, and experience of Gaelic-medium education, beneficial for parents & child stream.
Please contact Ceòlas directly (peggyann (at) ceolas.co.uk or 01878700154)